In the year 1949 a group of Real Estate Brokers from Eastern Contra Costa decided that they would create a Multiple Listing Service. Around the same time they contacted the National Association of Real Estate Boards (NAREB), seeking the right to establish the eastern half of Contra Costa County as a separate Real estate Board. It was necessary to comply with the requirements set forth by the National Association and when those were met, on August 23, 1949 the NAREB granted the group a charter with the name of the Eastern Contra Costa Board of Realtors. (ECCBR). Under the charter, the ECCBR was given the right to require that all those engaged in the real estate business whose activity is concerned principally with property within its jurisdiction shall hold membership in it before being accepted for membership in any other board belonging to the National Association.
The charter also gave the board the right to control the use of the word “Realtor”
Our records indicate that there were eight Real Estate Brokers who became Realtors. Only the Broker members had the right to hold office and vote in board elections.
From Antioch: From Pittsburg
W.E. Armstrong W. W. Pacini
Joseph Dragon Vernon Rouner
Ralph Garrow Harry A. Ward
From Oakley: From Brentwood
Ellis R. Patterson William D. Dickey
There were three salesmen on the roster. It is not clear if those persons became Realtor-Associates.
Velma Jennings (Liz Rimbault’s Mother)
Joseph A. White
In addition there were three associates listed (Affiliates)
Contra Costa Title Co., North American Title Guaranty Corp and the Richmond-Martinez Title Co.
The official territory of the group stretched from the town of Port Chicago (Nichols) to the San Joaquin and Alameda County lines, including West Pittsburg, Pittsburg, Antioch, Oakley, Brentwood Byron, Knightsen and Bethel Island. Discovery Bay wasn’t in existence at that time. In 1973 the Eastern Contra Costa Board swapped some area in the Byron area of east county, giving up Clayton to the Contra Costa Board.
1988, The ECCBR changed its name to the Delta Board of Realtors. After a few years, the word “Board” was replaced by “Association” the official name of our association.